The misadventures of Samantha, the pink cactus

Tales of me and my cactus (don't you dare die on me now) as we maneuver our way through nyc

Sunday, November 19, 2006

The art of selling

Of all the jobs out there, the one that frightens me the most is that of sales. I can make normal, even thoughtful conversation when need be, conduct small talk with strangers at social events and have been known to blabber uncontrollably to dear friends and family. But sales, the mere thought sends chills down my spine. Truely, I admire the talents of salespeople around the world. The conduct of oneself while trying to seal a deal is an art, and a delicate balance between retaining self respect while flattering the customer on one hand while managing to extol the virtues of the product at the same time.
A somewhat awkward experience yesterday reinforces the difficulty in maintaining this balance. An extra enthusiastic saleswoman was trying to get me to buy a suit, and really barking up the wrong tree. She gasped (audibly and theatrically) when she saw me in suit, commenting on my tiny waist and toned body... Well, anyone who has seen me in the last 5 years know I'm a classic Barrel shape with no waist to speak of, and toned bodies and I will never ever cross path. I'm just not built that way =p
So in the end, I was a little amused, and somewhat peevish. Still, I bought the suit on account of the suit itself and just how hard she tried to make a sale. If nothing, kudos for brazen dishonesty =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home