dim sum a gogo!
I discovered the real Chinatown today. On a typical trip to Chinatown, I would walk along Canal street until I get to Mott Street, turn straight into Mott and hit cruise control until I reach one of the few restaurants that I frequent. Wellian and my trip today started right on track, where I immediately turned into Mott street and went into the dim sum place right next to the beloved Singapore cafe for lunch. Dim sum was "ma ma dei" but pretty cheap, especially compared to phoenix and even to Singapore standards! We stuffed ourselves like crazy for less than 20 bucks total. Cool... Next we decided to walk off our enormous lunch by going to Little Italy. In the end, we added more bulk to our pudgy frames by getting drinks and biscotti to munch while we walk at a random cafe. Then the fun part comes in when Wellian and I decided to diverge from the tried and tested route. As we walked farther away from the surge of tourists buying kitschy "chinese" souvenirs along mott and mulberry, we saw more chinese walking along the streets, buying vegetables and fruits from road side stalls and conversing to each other in cantonese or mandarin like they were old pals while walking past each other. We then entered what would be aptly described as the "machine tools and kitchenware" zone in lower ManhattanWe decided to drop in a restaurant supply store just for kicks and were highly amazed and amused by the breadth and depth of the merchandise. You can literally find anything you would possibly need opening a restaurant. Plates: check, Napkin holders: check, Big-ass pots: check, Industrial sized rice cookers: check, cash registers: check. they even supply sinks! We ended up super amused and I even managed to get the mesh balls (for holding tea leaves) that had been eluding me for the past month!...yeah!

1 Comments:
wo yao DIMSUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
---ruoying
Post a Comment
<< Home