The Storm
New Yorkers are currently experiencing the worst bout of rain this season. I know that for sure because I was personally caught in the worst situation possible this evening, having to walk home in the pouring rain from church a good 29 blocks away. The umbrella was useless in this case, it just gave way about 10 blocks into my journey home. Assuming 20 blocks to a mile, that was 1.5 miles or 2.4 km. Given all the detours I made, my soggy trek must have been about 3 km long. My first line of defense- the 1 line on 79th st- was down, so I decided to walk to the next train station on 72nd st, wading in inch deep puddles of muddy water and trying to stop my umbrella from snappying, only to be rudely notified that not only was the 1 not work, the 2 and 3 lines were out of commission. By this time, I was ready to hop on a bus, but buses whizzed past me, packed full with wet and smelly people. And as expected, there was not an empty cab in sight.... sigh... so poor me walked all the way home, looking as pathetic and bedraggled as the neighborhood vagabond.
I know, I should have had ample practice dueling with rain, given how often and unpredictably it pours in Singapore, but I still wish I had a golf umbrella or the good sense to have stayed at home =p Whilst I'm typing, it is still raining outside. Only consolation: maybe, just maybe, it will be not oppressively hot tomorrow...
I know, I should have had ample practice dueling with rain, given how often and unpredictably it pours in Singapore, but I still wish I had a golf umbrella or the good sense to have stayed at home =p Whilst I'm typing, it is still raining outside. Only consolation: maybe, just maybe, it will be not oppressively hot tomorrow...

1 Comments:
Er, I was caught in the rain too. Our train stopped at Times Square and refused to move any further uptown. All other trains were out of commission cos of the 79 St flooded tracks (or at least that's what we were told).
So we trudged from 42nd Street through the massive throngs of tourists till 60th Street where we finally managed to hop on a cab. And we were carrying three huge bags of groceries we had purchased on the cheap in Flushing's Chinatown. And my friend's shoe broke along the way so she had to walk barefooted.
Not the best of days definitely :)
Post a Comment
<< Home