The misadventures of Samantha, the pink cactus

Tales of me and my cactus (don't you dare die on me now) as we maneuver our way through nyc

Saturday, March 04, 2006

to dinner to dinner

I've survived almost two weeks without consciously eating sugars and carbohydrates of any kind. Most days its really not bad, since I eat salads (and i must confess, I like salads) most days for dinner, and so long as I do not have croutons in them, I'm clear. I also like things will wobbly consistencies, so jello works just fine.
However, sometimes being carb-free is a drag, and a very difficult proposition to follow through. Take dinner tonight for example. Ying, Katy and I decided to get out of Manhattan into the cultural desert called Flushing, Queens. (incidentally, i had heard of flushing about 10 years ago, thanks to The Nanny... remember the opening music?) Luckily for us, we don't care too much for culture, we really had too much of that in Manhattan already. We were there, after a grueling 45 minutes on the subway, really, for the food...
And what glorious food! The three of us popped into a shanghainese restaurant called erhmm 上海滩。。。 i know.. cheesy, but my favorite shanghainese restaurant in the city is called Yeah Shanghai so it really isn't tt bad...haha...
anyway, the food was cheap and really great. We had kangkong sans belacan, which was a little greasy, but so crunchy and flavorful. We also had sweet and tangy pork chops, a dish that has been americanized to death, but in this instance retains the sourish vinegar taste melded really well with sugar. And the fish soup is so reminiscent of 鱼头米粉 in Singapore that I weeped in gratitude... ok not really, but I did have about 4 bowls of soup...
the not so great part, we had 小笼包... they had it, skin, meat and soup... but i had it without the skin... it was so sad seeing it sit on my plate being totally ignored... so sad...
oh well... let's hope i keep the 5 pds i lost this 2 wks and then it will be all worth it =)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woman, I admire your determination man... I'd have died without my beloved carbs.

Guess that's why I'm still pudgy. But that's another story for another day.

- dy -

Sunday, 05 March, 2006  
Blogger orderin said...

haha... i should have lost more than 5 pds for all these torture.. u have no idea how hard it is... GIMME bread...

Sunday, 05 March, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i DO have an idea how hard it is. that's why i don't (read: can't) do it! =P

-dy-

Monday, 06 March, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home