The misadventures of Samantha, the pink cactus

Tales of me and my cactus (don't you dare die on me now) as we maneuver our way through nyc

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Ambition

In order to make full use of the long weekend ahead, xh and I decided to take the bus down to dc to pay wellian a visit. Yet another tummy busting wkend, but I'm also determined to stick to my carb-free crash diet for the next 3 weeks before I go home for ban mian... But first, the green kaya kueh Aunty Hui made... TPS, eat your heart out!
Between meals, we talked crap as usual, but i remember xh talking about how his female friends who are on the verge of returning home after their 4 years overseas are dreading to go back for fear of not fitting in. They are worried of the monotonous work life, the lack of social activities and that their ambition to succeed and one-track career-mindedness will scare local men away.
While I understand the fears, I do not agree that girls educated in Singapore would not behave that way, and that the men are all going to be intimidated by independent women who earn more than them. Take Pak for example, I may be making more (on paper of course, everything goes to the irs, rent, sephora and my neighborhood italian, french and sichuan restaurant), but he's not at all bothered (maybe he acts well, i dunno) that i have more earnings power. He puts it this way: if he had the choice to work in finance, he would be more successful. I would like to contest that idea, but for now I'll give it a benefit of doubt.
So, there are friends who are looking to settle down, let their careers take a backseat and start a family. However, at the very same time people are moving into their own apartments to share their lives with their spouses, I also know plenty of attractive and financially independent girls in Singapore out there who are taking certain risks in their careers, hoping to challenge themselves in the workplace, gain job satisfaction and reap some monetary returns for their efforts. Because we all know that a little more disposable income goes a long way. They are ambitious like me, and want to make a name for themselves and have the power to say no to situations, jobs and people they don't fancy. Of course, who am I to fathom what their thoughts are about marriages and starting families, but for now, they seem well adjusted and happy with their way of life. For most of us, we think of marrying someday too, just not now.
As for myself, its never crossed my mind that I won't be able to fit into the Singapore society because I'm more ambitious than some, and that i'll be going back most probably as an expat someday. I think the society and the men can handle it.
Anyway, after this whole "power to the ladies" spill, please let me regress abit back into my bimbotic mode. So its crash diet time because its extremely pertinent now that I can fit into the clothes sold in Singaporean stores. I am after all about 1.5X the size of a regular NUS first year student, about 5 years older than the regular NUS first year student and going home in 3 wks time...
No bread, no rice, no pasta... Let me die now....

3 Comments:

Blogger yingaling said...

actually hor... girls work so damn hard also abit wasted cos our pay IS less than the guys (even with the same 'position'). why liddat...

Monday, 20 February, 2006  
Blogger orderin said...

My roommate and I postulate that the phenomena might be because women with overseas education may not be as interested in locally educated men versus people who share a common overseas experience, but they attribute it to men being intimidated by them to feel better... just a postulation

Monday, 20 February, 2006  
Blogger Belief in Life said...

Climb HDB flats lor..Vertical challenge. Take in the sights of the neighbouring flats +/- the dripping wet clothes. =)

Tuesday, 21 February, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home