The misadventures of Samantha, the pink cactus

Tales of me and my cactus (don't you dare die on me now) as we maneuver our way through nyc

Sunday, March 12, 2006

holiday mood and holiday food

3 more days till I fly home... shit, I'm already on a holiday mood.. My bosses are certainly not going to be too happy about tt =(
When I was back a year ago, , rotiboy and big chunky jewellery were all the rage. I wonder what the latest fad is currently? The speed at which people change their tastes in Singapore is actually very alarming to me. Every year I go I am invited to try something new (food), that something so great that it will bring tears in your eyes and make you forget you waited 30 minutes in line, in the blazing sun for it. My cognizance of the fad-driven gourmet marketplace started with Quickly bubble tea, and then came the pricier coffee drinks at Starbucks and Coffeebean. With buns, I had ill-fated love affairs with the ah bian yam bun at breadtalk and tried one roti-boy. With lard filled fried stuff it has been the climatic rise and fall? (just speculating) of the taiwanese chicken chop empire (it smelled good, but my weak tummy said no, eat it at your own risk, so I was good and listened to my tummy)
I wonder what i will find this time round, and if its really awe-inspiringly "makes my tummy smile" delicious, I hope its there to stay (unlike the ill-fated Quickly), or at least packable and ta-baoable to nyc.
Incidentally, after years of not having Quickly bubble tea and the pudding drink that I faithfully ordered when I was 18, roaming in suntec and marina mandarin with my choir pals between carolling sessions at the ritz and conrad, I found a Quickly store right smack in Ctown somewhere along grand street. Unfortunately its was 30 degrees F out that night, and I was filled to the brim with Beef pho and vietnamese coffee so I gave it a pass... But, now that it has warmed up, I am definitely going to make a trip to Ctown to get a cup of multi-colored pudding and drink it with nostalgia, if not relish =)
What was your favorite food fad? And updates on whats new and hot in Singapore so I won't feel like an overweight country bumpkin!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yo! will be seeing you on sat! :) but other than that, don't think will get to chance to hang out with you. oh well..

hee, actually i have never tried the rotiboy. not sure if there is any new fad now. but there sure are a lot of new (expensive) restaurants in town! :P

-py

Monday, 13 March, 2006  
Blogger orderin said...

the whole point of going home is to eat cheap classics and newfangled 2 dollar buns! =)
Yeah! will see you again on saturday... is everyone we know going to the wedding of the year?
And i can make a trip to alexander rd to meet/eat with you =)

Tuesday, 14 March, 2006  
Blogger Belief in Life said...

I can't think of anything new that has taken the town by storm. But personally I found this secret muffin stall at a hawker centre in Defu Estate (near yongxiang's hse)! The muffin with cheese/chocolate chip is absolutely perfect..best thing is it costs only S$1 each. The brownie is also good at S$1.50..alas no ice cream. Heard that they have another branch at Tanjong Pagar. Cya on Sat!

Tuesday, 14 March, 2006  
Blogger orderin said...

haha.. its no longer secret now =p
wow.. one dollar muffin.. tt's 60 cents!!! i can eat 5 for the cost of my morning latte =p shiok!

Tuesday, 14 March, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home